On September 1, 2007, the Anne Rita Monahan Foundation was established by its namesake, a heroic ovarian cancer fighter, to “ARM” women in the fight against ovarian cancer. Sadly, Anne lost her battle on May 13, 2009, but her vision to educate women on the warning signs of ovarian cancer lives on with her Foundation.The ARM Foundation is focused on increasing early detection and decreasing misdiagnosis. To that end, the Foundaiton focuses on two key areas:
1. Providing research funding to support the development of a reliable screening test for ovarian cancer.
2. Educating the community about the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer to increase early detection.
ARM has partnered with Dr. Heather Cunliffe and the researchers at the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) in Phoenix on an focused ovarian cancer study. Learn more about the critical research your donations to the ARM Foundation support here.
COMMON SIGNS OF OVARIAN CANCER:
• Difficulty with eating or feeling full quickly
• Urinary symptoms “urgency or frequency”
• Pressure or pain in the abdomen, pelvis, back or legs
• A swollen or bloated abdomen
LESS COMMON SYMPTOMS:
• Nausea, indigestion, gas, constipation or diarrhea
• Excessive fatigue continually
• Shortness of breath
• Unusual vaginal bleeding (heavy periods, bleeding after menopause)
WHAT TO DO:
Women who experience these symptoms almost daily for more than a few weeks should see their gynecologist. They should also ask their doctor about the CA-125 blood test and ask to explore ultrasound options.
HELP FIGHT BACK AGAINST OVARIAN CANCER.
The ARM Foundaiton raises research funds through direct donations and through our annual Tea for Teal event. Tea for Teal is a full service English featuring a raffle & silent auction.
Visit our Tea for Teal page to learn more about this years event and to purchase tickets.
If you wish to donate by mail:
Anne Rita Monahan Foundation
c/o Jennifer Graves
5877 N. Granite Reef Road, Unit #2209
Scottsdale, AZ 85250
The Anne Rita Monahan Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization under IRS code. Our Federal Tax ID number is 11-3821047.